During Fiscal Year 2017, the Bed Fund provided financial assistance to 101 patients for a total of over $59,664.93.
Services were provided to patients of the hospital, outpatient departments, the Geriatric Care Center and to physician offices. These services ranged from assisting with medications, medical equipment, medical supplies, family lodging, and emergency housing.
Examples of individuals who received assistance from the Bed Fund:
- A 56-year-old man employed at a minimum pay job with limited health benefits could not afford the cost of inhalers for his Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. The Bed Fund covered the cost of a one month supply of inhalers while a Medical Assistance application is being processed.
- A 52-year-old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis received orthotics for her shoes to relieve the severe foot pain that she experienced while walking and standing.
- A 54-year-old man who underwent back surgery had been unable to work for nine months due to his pain and could not afford his medications. The Bed Fund provided his medications including medication for his diabetes and hypertension.
- A 61-year-old man who was admitted to the hospital with uncontrolled hypertension had not been taking his medication for months due to financial difficulties. The Bed Fund filled in the gaps by providing his medication.
- An 18-year-old girl suffering from respiratory problems had become homeless due to domestic violence and was sleeping in her car in the Waterworks shopping center during a week in the winter in which the temperature was well below freezing. The Bed Fund covered the cost of her first month’s rent for an apartment.
- A 41-year-old woman with multiple medical problems and bilateral hearing loss is the sole caregiver for three young children. This woman made arrangements to obtain hearing aids through a community assistance program. She was unable to pay the $250 which was required to obtain the aids. With the assistance of the Bed Fund, the hearing aids were obtained and she can now communicate much better with her young children.
Help Add to Our Elephants Collection!
In 1930 two young brothers brought their pennies to St. Margaret Hospital in this teapot to help a friend - marking the birth of the Free Bed Fund. This act of philanthropy still thrives through The Bed Fund today, helping patients who are under-insured get the medication, devices and care most people take for granted. For eighty-four years the office has collected elephants (old and new) to commemorate. Stop in to see them! Add to the collection!
For more information on The Bed Fund, please call St. Margaret Foundation at 412-784-4205 or UPMC Care Management at 412-784-4090.